Sunday 27 February 2011

Camera Shots & Film Analysis

Using good and specific camera shots for particular scenes are one of the key skills I need to input into my film. It is something I have realised as I watch films since I was taught the skill in my AS Media lessons.

Training Day
Director- Anton Fuque
Genre- Police Drama
Starring- Denzel Washington & Ethan Hawke







From the picture above we can see there is a two person shot "2 shot" being used. From this shot we can work out who plays the roll of "being in charge". Ethan  Hawke is in the background indicating that he has a lower status than Denzel and the positioning of his hands can be interpreted as "hey, what are you doing?". Also, Denzel is walking in front wearing all black clothes to emphasise his sinister mind, he is holding a gun and walking away from what seems to be a murder he has just committed. From this one camera shot alone it is very easy to work out who plays what roll and it shows how important camera shots are as they too tell a story.



Batman - dark knight
Director - Christopher Nolan
Starring - Christian Bale, Aaron Eckhart & Heath Ledger


In the above picture we can see an over the shoulder shot, this shot is usually used during a conversation to show a persons point of view, and to show the facial expressions of the person while speaking. This shot switches between two people during the whole conversation.


These are just two of examples of two camera shots I will be using in my film and these are just two of many films which have inspired me to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment